Friends President, Tim Barker with Courtney Lyon-Garcia and David Bemporad, to whom Tim presented a Landa Park Book as a gift.
The committee also joined by Mayor Barron Casteel and Mayor Rusty Brockman
New Braunfels' citizens came out on the last day of Wurstfest to watch a bit of history taking place.
Friends' book "New Braunfels' Historic Landa Park, Its Springs & Its People" was buried in the new capsule. The capsule will stay buried for another 25 years.
Mayor Rusty Brockman opened the ceremony, along with Presentation of Colors and Pledge of Allegiance by New Braunfels Fire Dept Color Guard
Honorees: Arlene Krueger Seales, Rosemarie Leissner Gregory, & Kirk Gregory
New Braunfels Firefighters Pipes & Drums
Friends for the Preservation of Historic Landa Park President, Tim Barker honoring the authors of the book New Braunfels' Historic Landa Park, Its Springs & Its People
Beautiful painting by New Braunfels artist, Jane Felts Mauldin of our new Butterfly benches and butterfly garden at the Landa Family Memorial
Friends gathered for an informal meeting in Landa Park.
After the meeting, several Friends members got to work!
Lots of plant debris to be removed after the Deep Valentines Day Freeze of 2021!
Back Row (L-R)
Leslie Dey (Advisor); Gay Woodward (Webmaster); Michael Buley (Vice President); Tim Barker (President); Dale Lafferty (Board)
Front Row (L-R)
Vanda Babich (Secy); Merry Saegert (Board); John Davis (Communications); Dwight Micklethwait (Board); Abbie Rutledge (Past Pres); Violet Tanneberger (Chaplain)
Not pictured: Jo Heideman (Treasurer)
Abbie Rutledge (L), President of Friends presents a copy of the Landa Park Book in appreciation to program presenters Allison Humphries & Alyssa Soechting from the Greater New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce, Convention & Visitors Bureau. The topic was "Celebration of the 175th Anniversary of the City of New Braunfels in 2020".
Dear New Braunfels Department of Parks & Recreation,
Friends for the Preservation of Historic Landa Park hosted Recognition Day 4/8/19
on Gazebo Circle. The event was attended by 80 individuals who came to recognize
Senior Members of the New Braunfels Garden Club and Authors of the Landa Park Book
and to dedicate Legacy Benches (3) in honor of Bill Schumann, in memory of Bill Kolodzie
and in memory of Marie Offerman. Spring Run #3 was beautifully clear and babbling
for the Schumann and Kolodzie benches while Landa Lake glimmered for the location of the
bench for Offerman.
The exceptional assistance and cooperation of Landa Park personnel was stellar and made Recognition Day truly a momentous occasion. Landa Park looks the best I have witnessed in the 30 years of being its neighbor—thanks to the dedicated care provided by ALL Parks personnel.
Friends for the Preservation of Historic Landa Park
The City of New Braunfels, in collaboration with the Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept, will be hosting an informative workshop regarding urban wildlife and local wildlife management initiatives.
The workshop is open to the public and will be held at 6pm, Wednesday, Feb. 13 at New Braunfels City Hall: 550 Landa Street.
For more information regarding the workshop or the wildlife feeding ordinance, please contact Mark Enders at 830.221.4639 or at email@example.com
Friends President Leslie Dey presenting speaker Dr. Rob Dussler with an honorarium of New Braunfels' Historic Landa Park: Its Springs and Its People. Dr. Dussler is Chief Education Officer and Director of Spring Lake Operations and member of the Senior Leadership Team for The Meadows Center for Water and the Environment at Texas State University. 1-14-2019
Ribbon Cutting ceremony for new sidewalks on Gazebo Circle in Landa Park. Sidewalks were sponsored by Friends for the Preservation of Historic Landa Park and the New Braunfels Parks Foundation. 1-14-2019
A beautiful bench dedication ceremony took place on Oct. 21, 2017 in Landa Park. On this "Arbor Day" in the park, family and friends gathered for a presentation by Tim Barker, President of Friends for the Preservation of Historic Landa Park: "Friends" donated two lovely park benches in memory of Dolores Schumann and Joyce Kolodzie.
Rosemarie Gregory, 2016 Seele Education Award winner, with Mayor pro tem Wayne Peters. New Braunfels Parks & Rec Volunteer Appreciation Dinner, September 2016.
Friends participated in this annual event downtown New Braunfels. We had Native American artifacts on display along with our new book on Landa Park. So many friendly folks stopped by to share their childhood memories of going to Landa Park.
NBU Chief Operating Officer (L) Al Kaufmann, NBU Chief Executive Officer (Middle) Ian Taylor, and NBU Dir. of Water Services (R) Trino Pedraza, with Friends President Tim Barker
FRIENDS members Jennifer Graham and Jo Heideman working our booth at the beautiful Weihnachtsmarkt downtown New Braunfels.
We are excited to have been able to finance a much needed sidewalk along Spring Run 3 on Gazebo Circle in Landa Park. Our club treasurer, Jo Heideman proudly displays our donation check to make this project happen!
Click on a file to download.
FRIENDS FOR THE PRESERVATION OF HISTORIC LANDA PARK
MEETING JANUARY 13, 2020 - LANDA HAUS - LANDA PARK- 2:30 PM
1. Call to order by President Abbie Rutledge at 3:00 pm
2. Invocation by Chaplain, Violet Tanneberger
3. Pledges to the American flag and the Texas flag lead by Abbie Rutledge, President
4. Abbie Rutledge introduced the speaker. “The GIS Revolution: Archeology’s New Tool Reveals Oldest Map of Texas” presented by Gary Perez. Gary Perez former custodian of the Native American Church Trust, Mirando City, Texas, 2015 Texas Humanities Grant recipient, Board Member, Headwater Sanctuary at Incarnate Word, permanent role in Witte Museum’s Lower Pecos River exhibit. Gary gave a very informative description of an ancient pictograph rock art found at the confluence of the lower Pecos and Rio Grande River in the Seminole Canyon State Park located north of the Texas-Mexico border. Abbie presented Gary a set of The Landa Park books.
5. Secretary’s report was given by Vanda Babich. The report was posted on Friend’s Web Site by Gay Woodward.
6. Treasurers Report was presented by Leslie Dey as Jo Heideman was not present.
A. General Fund: Beginning & Ending balance as of August – December 2019 $1,986.67
No transactions -0-
Balance on hand remains $1,986.67
B. Special Fund Landa Park Book Publication:
Balance on hand September Financial Report 2019 $28,199.82
Book Sale Income August 2019- December 2019 $1,835.15
Expenses August 2019-Deceme 2019 -0-
Balance on hand for books sales December 2019 $29,954.97
Balance on hand for General Fund $1,986.67
Publication & General Funds as of January 2020 $31,941.64
7. President’s Report by Abbie Rutledge. Abbie welcome all the new members. She thanked Comal Garden Club for the refreshments. Abbie announced that the Landa Parks Books will be sold for $45.00 a set for the 175thAnniversary. Friends is a $500.00 sponsor of the Comal Alliance fundraiser “Sweaty Yeti 5 K Run” at Landa Park Dance Slab, Saturday, April 4th at 8:am. A sign up sheet was passed around for volunteers for various 2020 events.
Nominations and vote on 20/21 Friends Officers was announced. They are as follows:
President: Tim Barker
Vice President: Michael Buley
Treasurer: Jo Heideman
Secretary: Vanda Babich
Chaplain: Violet Tanneberger
Past President: Abbie Rutledge
Advisor: Leslie Dey
Communication: John Davis
Web-master: Gay Woodward
Board Members: Banjo Felton, Violet Tanneberger, Merry Seagert, Dwight Micklethwait, Jennifer Graham, Dan Krueger, Sandy Schlameus and Dale Lafferty.
8. Vice-Presidents Report-Tom Barker reported that on the 175th Founding of New Braunfels Celebration, Friends is a $525.00 Pioneer Sponsor. A Community Breakfast at Landa Park Dance Slab / 175th Time Capsule Opening & 175th Time Capsule Installation will be Saturday March 13th 9:00 am- 11:00am.
Friends will have docents at the Founders Tree, Pioneer’s Statue and Historical Marker. We will be selling the Landa Park books.
9. Announcements were made by Abbie Rutledge. Comal County Conservation Alliance will have a meeting Tuesday, January 14th 4-8 pm at McKenna Center, 801 San Antonio Street. “The Story of El Rancho Cima (Devil’s Backbone”.
Friends meeting dates are Monday, April 14, 2020 and Monday, September 14, 2020.
10. Violet Tanneberger-Chapain gave the benediction.
11. Meeting adjourned at 4:30
Respectively Submitted by
Friend’s 2020 Events
Saturday, March 14th, 9am-12am, Docents Tour in Landa Park-Community Breakfast at Landa Park Dance Slab, 9:30-11am, The 175th Time Capsule Installation 11am, 10am-4pm, New Braunfels Conservation Society Historic Home Tour
Saturday, April 4, 8-11am Comal Trails Alliance Sweaty Yeti 5K Run in Landa Park, 10am-4pm, FolkFest at Heritage Village, 1370 Churchill Drive,
Sunday, April 5, 10am-4pm, FolkFest at Heritage Village, 1370 Churchill Drive, Monday
Monday April 13, 2:30pm, Friends General Meeting at Landa Haus
Saturday, April 18th, 10am-2pm, Earth Day Headwaters at the Comal
Saturday, May 2nd, 12am-8pm, Wein & Saengerfest, downtown New Braunfels
Saturday, June 9am-1pm, Farmers Market
Monday, September 14th, 2:30pm, Friends General Meeting at Landa Haus
Saturday, September 9am-1pm, New Braunfels Farmer Market
Saturday, October, Arbor Day in Landa Park
Saturday, November 9am-1pm, New Braunfels Farmers Market
Saturday, November 10am-6pm, Heritage Day at Heritage Village, 1370 Churchill Drive
Saturday, December 9am-1pm, New Braunfels Farmers Market
Friday, December, Christkindlmarkt
Saturday, December, Christkindlmarkt
Monday, January 11th, 2:30pm, Friends General Meeting at Landa Haus
AGENDA: 1/20/20 LANDA PARK COMMITTEE FOR 3/14/20 FRIENDS PARTICIPATION
TIM BARKER’S HOUSE 1:00 PM JANUARY 13, 2020
PURPOSE: To establish plans for Friends participation in Landa Park, on March 14, 2020, for the Celebration of the 175th Anniversary of the founding of New Braunfels.
· 9:30 Downton Rotary Breakfast, Opening of the Time Capsule
· Participation at four locations in Landa Park:
Area of the Pioneer Monument-Leslie Dey and Dan Lafferty
Area of the Founders Tree- Michael Buley and Pat Shelton
Area of the Historical Marker-Merry Saegert, Betty Worl and Tina George
Area of the Friends tent- Vanda Babich, Gay Woodward and Joe Heideman
· Merry Saegert will be in charge of decorations.
Theme-USA Flags-red-white and blue, bunting also. These will be on the metal fence and flower beds in front of the Founders Oak, area of the Pioneer Monument, area of the Historical Marker and Friends tent. We will have patriotic music-CD and CD player provided by Tim.
· Abbie Rutledge and Gay Woodard will be in charge of purchasing T-Shirt with Friends Logo.
· Leslie and Abbie have tents that we can use.
· Two tables and chairs will be needed for the Friends tent.
· Text of messages will be given to each location- references from the Landa Park book.
· Work Schedule will be 8:30am till noon.
CONTACTS: Committee Members:
Files coming soon.
Copyright © 2017 Friends for the Preservation of Historic Landa Park - All Rights Reserved.
Photos courtesy of : Gay Foester Woodward, Elisabet Barker, John Moler & Lesley Schlumberger
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder